Multiclienting (not for parties)

This is the place where you can chat about anything related to OriginsRO and Ragnarok Online. This is NOT for technical support or requests to GMs.
Forum rules
This section is NOT meant for technical support or GM assistance requests and may be not monitored by GMs everyday. The appropriate places for that kind of requests are the Technical Support forum and the Questions and Support tracker.

Multiclienting (not for parties)

Postby Meowson » 2019-10-08 08:49 (Tuesday)

Some questions, returning to RO after.. nearly a decade? ^^'

* I've read you lose party exp buff when multiclienting, but does this also go for a vending character, or one not in your party?
* Aside from shared normal storage, is there any downside to just having all your chars on separate accounts? Is it discouraged in any way?

Thanks.
Meowson
Player
Player
Drops
Drops

Re: Multiclienting (not for parties)

Postby GM Ischia » 2019-10-08 13:31 (Tuesday)

Hello Meowson!

1. Please read https://wiki.originsro.org/wiki/Party (http://prntscr.com/pggtuz)

2. It is actually really recommended to make 1 Game-Account (Not Master Account) for each of your characters. You can just use the Master Storage, which every Game-Account you have can access. There is really no downside to it, since you don't even have to remember any login information due to our launcher being awesome :)
[GM] Ischia
GM Ischia
Game Master
Game Master
Poporing
Poporing

Postby Meowson » 2019-10-08 14:07 (Tuesday)

Hello! Thanks for the welcome.

I just saw that today but somehow I'm still unclear ^^.

* If you're logged off/sitting in character select menu for a second character who is on the same map, is the debuff in effect? The page specifies same map but not whether you need to be both logged in or not.
* If you were not in a party when your characters were on the same map but then joined one after you logged off on the second character, would the debuff take effect?
* Finally, is the debuff triggered in all situations where two characters from the same master account meet? E.g. you have an afk in Pront and you bwing back to town, forgetting you left a character there. Are you debuffed for 10 mins now? (Again, does this depend on prior partied status?)

Also, got it - I'll make separate game accounts :).

Edit: some hypothetical questions..
Meowson
Player
Player
Drops
Drops

Postby GM Ischia » 2019-10-08 15:03 (Tuesday)

Hey,

okay so, i don't know if this is 100% technically correct, but whenever you leave a map (by switching maps or logging off), a 10 minute timer will start for that map.
So if you enter the same map with a different character and then join a party, that timer is still running and the party you have joined will get reduced experience. After the timer reached 0 the party will get "buffed" experience again. If you now accidentally log your first character back in, and he was still parked on the map, you will trigger the timer for you again.

This timer starts on all dungeons and all field maps - towns are excluded. So lets say your character (who is in a party) died, and you go back to your save point where a priest from your 2nd game account is re-buffing and re-warping you to the map with your party. In this case there will be no penalty, because your characters met on a town map.

Lets say worst case happened, and you accidentally removed the bonus experience from your party. You can still just leave the party for a couple of minutes (tell them why) and just help them out for free until you think the 10 minutes are over. If you leave the party they will go back to the bonus experience and you can let it count to 0 without making anyone angry (if they get angry, usually people understand and dont really care).

I hope you can kinda understand what i mean ^^
[GM] Ischia
GM Ischia
Game Master
Game Master
Poporing
Poporing

Postby Meowson » 2019-10-08 16:10 (Tuesday)

First of all, thanks for your effort :).

I'll take this to mean that, whether in a party or not, any time outside a town that my characters are in the same map and logged on (I assume this means "on the map" and not "with the client window open and looking at character select"), the debuff is in effect. This means that even if I log off on my secondary and then join a party on my primary, the debuff is still ticking down from the moment my secondary logged off. So to play safe, I shouldn't ever let my characters meet outside of town should I want to party and maintain buffed EXP.

Again, thank you, and that's clear, assuming my comprehension is working ^^.
Meowson
Player
Player
Drops
Drops

Postby GM Ischia » 2019-10-09 08:29 (Wednesday)

The timer also starts if your character was your only character from your account on that map (char select doesn't matter, only characters that were online in the map <10 minutes ago).

Situation A:
- You Solo level your ME Priest in Niflheim (nif_fild01) and see a party building up in #party for the same map.
- You decide that you want to join their party with your Knight to be a mobber for them.
- You warp your priest to town (Timer starts for nif_fild01)
- You warp your knight on the map nif_fild01 (no problem yet)
- You get a party invite from them and accept (problem!)
=> They get no unique master bonus until your timer is at 0

To avoid this you can just tell them "oh i just leveled there and need to wait x minutes before i join the party, so you guys don't lose the exp bonus". Meanwhile you can just mob out of party

Situation B:
- You are a Priest inside a party for nif_fild01
- The parties Bragi Bard has to leave soon and you guys can't find a replacement bard, only another priest applied for the party
- You say: "Oh, i can join the party with my bard instead of my priest, and you guys can recruit the other priest"
- They agree
- Your priest leaves the party - warps back to town(or logs out, doesnt matter) (timer starts)
- You warp your bard on the map (no problem)
- you join the old party with your bard => Problem
=> They get no unique master bonus until your timer is at 0

Same thing here, even after switching chars inside the same party, you would lose the exp bonus for 10 minutes. But people are aware of this situation and know whats up, and usually dont care about 10 minutes no boosted experience, because any experience is more than no experience at all, since your party would possibly disband if you guys can't find replacements :)
[GM] Ischia
GM Ischia
Game Master
Game Master
Poporing
Poporing

Postby Meowson » 2019-10-10 12:41 (Thursday)

Thanks again, very thorough ^^.
Meowson
Player
Player
Drops
Drops

Return to General Chat