Hunter Powerhouse build - gear

Discuss about Archers and derived classes. Note that this isn't the place where to post guides (those should go into our wiki), but to discuss builds and ask for help.

Hunter Powerhouse build - gear

Postby Chippelchen » 2019-06-28 13:49 (Friday)

Yeah I'm planning to make a powerhouse build which means 99 dex / agi and maybe some int. Also called DS hunter.

I actually don't know what cards I should put into my Gakkung. I was thinking about Archer Skeleton or Skeleton Worker card. I'm not sure but is Archer Skeleton card not better? It works against every monster and not only against medium sized monsters. Moreover it's kinda cheap yo get. What are your thoughts?
Chippelchen
Player
Player
Drops
Drops

Re: Hunter Powerhouse build - gear

Postby Lios » 2019-06-28 14:11 (Friday)

Start with +7 hunter bow[0]
If you want archer combo, then gakk [cruiser][archer skel]

sometimes you will want specialized bows: composite bow [2x racial][2x element], or gakk[2x racial], or gakk[2x element]
Lios
Player
Player
Santa Poring
Santa Poring

Postby Distilled » 2019-06-28 19:44 (Friday)

Hi, Chippelchen.

The bow and card combinations you use should depend on what you plan on fighting. Same with defensive gear and cards. It depends what you plan on fighting, and what you can afford.
It's going to cost you an arm and a leg to afford a different "best bow/best cards" for multiple different monster types.
If you want an okay bow and card combination to battle a wider variety of monster types without having to switch, it's obviously going to be more affordable, but not as powerful.

You could use this classic Ragnarok calculator to determine how much damage your double strafe would do depending on your gear: http://rocalc.com/
I used it before and tested out a hunter's double strafe damage using different bow/card setups against a Stapo monster (Small, Earth, Formless) with the following stats:
Base: 99
Job: 50 (Hunter)
Str: 1
Agi: 82
Vit: 1
Int: 50
Dex: 99
Luk: 1
No gear/upgrades except for 1 porcellio card
Owl's Eye 10
Vulture's Eye 10
Attention Concentrate 10
Blessing 10

And these were the average damage results when level 10 double strafe was used against a Stapo:
hunter bow + arrow = 172
hunter bow + oredicon arrow = 178
hunter bow + fire arrow = 304
gakkung bow [2] + fire arrow = 266
gakkung bow [2] + 2 archer skeleton + fire arrow = 318
gakkung bow [2] + 2 desert wolf + fire arrow = 352
gakkung bow [2] + kaho + desert wolf + fire arrow = 368
gakkung bow [2] + 2 kaho + fire arrow = 372
gakkung bow [2] + kaho + pecopeco egg + fire arrow = 380
burning bow [1] + fire arrow = 326
burning bow [1] + kaho + fire arrow = 392
burning bow [1] + pecopeco egg + fire arrow = 392
composite bow [4] + fire arrow = 212
composite bow [4] + 4 desert wolf + fire arrow = 358
composite bow [4] + 4 kaho + fire arrow = 380
composite bow [4] + 4 pecopeco egg + fire arrow = 380
composite bow [4] + 3 kaho + 1 desert wolf + fire arrow = 394
composite bow [4] + 2 kaho + 2 desert wolf + fire arrow = 400
composite bow [4] + 2 kaho + 2 pecopeco egg + fire arrow = 414
composite bow [4] + 2 kaho + 1 pecopeco egg + 1 desert wolf + fire arrow = 414

If you're wondering why 2 element cards (kaho) + 2 race cards (pecopeco egg) does more damage against a monster than simply 4 elemental cards, or 4 race cards, it's because, and I quote from Nat Oliver, "stacking multiple % damage cards of the same effect is additive, whereas mixing the appropriate race, element and size cards is multiplicative.".
That thread is here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1064
Last edited by Distilled on 2019-06-29 07:52 (Saturday), edited 1 time in total.
Distilled
Player
Player
Santa Poring
Santa Poring

Postby Chippelchen » 2019-06-29 05:29 (Saturday)

@distilled thanks for your help. I don't have much money atm so I need a bow which is good against a wide variety of mobs. What is a cheap but combo?
Chippelchen
Player
Player
Drops
Drops

Postby Distilled » 2019-06-29 07:52 (Saturday)

I can't really advise you on that unfortunately.
I'm not familiar with the market, and I don't know what your spending limit is.
If you sign in to the OriginsRO control panel here https://cp.originsro.org/ and go to the market, you can check how much zeny other players are selling bows for.

There's only so many cards that would benefit a hunter's double strafe build if you're not interested in obtaining race, element, or size cards for specific monster types.
If you want more damage than the Hunter Bow, I suppose you could just get that Archer Skeleton card like you mentioned, or get two of them and put them in a Gakkung Bow [2].
If you can afford more than that, maybe get 2 of the same SIZE damage cards in a Gakkung Bow [2]. That way you'd only have to get a 3 Gakkung Bows, each with 2 different size damaging cards (small medium large).

I recommend you read the "Weapon" section of this wiki page: https://wiki.originsro.org/wiki/Hunter
I'll paste what it says here:

Hunter Bow - A very good starting gear that'll probably stick with you for a long time. Only downside is that it can't be equipped by Archer in your way to Hunter. You get one for free if you wait for job level 50 as an Archer.
Composite Bow [4] - Every Hunter should use composite bows for dealing damage. 2x2x Race/Element is the best, of course. 3x Race/Element 1x Size or 2x Race/Element 2x Size is also an option for being effective on more mobs while not losing too much power.
Bow [4] - You usually use a Bow [4] to inflict status effects on your enemies. Status bows are amazing in PVP. Hunters have very high attack speed and also can cause status effects from a range, which is a huge advantage in many situations in WoE and PVP.
Burning/Earth/Frozen/Gust Bow [1]- a nice replacement for 2:2 composites[4], carded with correct elemental modifier card and arrow set and against correct element monsters.
Gakkung Bow[2] - Coupled with size cards, it's the best bow for generic damage, and it can be equipped by Archers. Problem is, it's very expensive compared to a Hunter Bow, and the few extra damage may not be relevant depending on what you're farming. You should have 2:2 composites for stronger important mobs anyway.
Arbalest[2] - With size cards, used to reach 160 DEX and do generic damage like Gakkung[2].
Distilled
Player
Player
Santa Poring
Santa Poring

Return to Payon Archer Guild