How-To: Play OriginsRO on Linux

Post here to ask for technical support with your game client, patcher, kRO/Sakray Setup
Forum rules
****** !!! A T T E N T I O N !!! ******

Before opening a new support request or replying to an existing one, please make sure you read the General Troubleshooting Instructions.
Only if the instructions described there don't resolve - or don't apply to - your issue, please open a new thread, stating what you did so far.

Any requests that clearly don't follow these instructions may be ignored, locked, or deleted.

****** !!! A T T E N T I O N !!! ******

Re: How-To: Play OriginsRO on Linux

Postby acampbell » 2019-02-04 10:53 (Monday)

lars_preben wrote:Hello all,

I am trying to run OriginsRO on Fedora 29 based on this how-to. I have ran into a problem that whenever I press play in the launcher, the launcher quits and nothing else happens. I have tried tweaking the game settings and Lutris/wine configuration, but to no avail.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem could be?

Thank you

That's probably something to do with the graphics settings. Try setting the game to run in 1024x768 windowed mode, and make sure that borderless window is not enabled in the launcher settings.

You can also try a different version of Wine - I use 3.14 without issue.

Feel free to contact me on Discord - I'll be much faster replying there.
TroubleshootingOriginsRO WikiOriginsRO Control PanelHow-To: OriginsRO on Linux

My characters:
Valdis • Zayn • Chartax • Rhigaerd • WallStreetTrading • Tylund • Vazel • Kelsier • Asier
acampbell
Player
Player
Santa Poring
Santa Poring

GitLab User ID: @Chartax
Discord Username: @Chartax#7117
IRC nickname: acampbell

Postby Schnappi » 2019-02-04 21:33 (Monday)

lars_preben wrote:Hello all,

I am trying to run OriginsRO on Fedora 29 based on this how-to. I have ran into a problem that whenever I press play in the launcher, the launcher quits and nothing else happens. I have tried tweaking the game settings and Lutris/wine configuration, but to no avail.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem could be?

Thank you

I had that problem as well, I ran lutris on debug mode and got this error:

Code: Select all
libGL error: No matching fbConfigs or visuals found
libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast

Are you using a NVIDIA card? I fixed it replacing lib32-mesa with lib32-nvidia-utils
Schnappi
Player
Player
Poring
Poring

Postby Lawrence » 2019-03-18 18:44 (Monday)

I had the same problem as lars_preben. The launcher was not able to start the client. With some help from the #support channel on discord I was able to get it running.
Basically I installed wine version "tkg-4.1-x86-64" via Lutris and then it worked. It didn't work with any other wine version I tested (3.0; 4.0; 4.3; 4.4).

My system: Ubuntu 18.10 64bit with kernel 4.18.0-16-generic and free ati drivers.
Lawrence
Player
Player
Poring
Poring

Postby Lawrence » 2019-04-15 08:27 (Monday)

Wine 4.5 was released a few days ago. I installed it via Lutris and the game works with it.
Edit: Wine 4.6 in Lutris works, too. But 4.5 and 4.6 in wine-staging repo does not work or me.
Lawrence
Player
Player
Poring
Poring

Postby natsukaze » 2019-09-05 09:38 (Thursday)

Hey there,

first of all thank you - first time using Lutris and it works really good and easy out of the box with Manjaro/XFCE/AMD Graphics.

I just wonder how to launch multiple clients? The "Play" Button in Lutris changes to "Stop" once I launch a single client and that seems to be the only thing I can do there.
Edit: Right Click the Application Button in Lutris and put a RO Shortcut on your Desktop (or wherever). With this you can launch as many clients as you want!

As for issues I noticed that my computer completely locks up after a minute or two when the client is running and I play a full screen youtube video. Probably a driver issue or so but I'll just use mpv instead of Firefox, so no problem.
Edit: Oh wow so I noticed my PC straight up overheats when it locks up xD. My Bad. A single fullscreen RO client puts 50-100% load on each of the eight Cores. Maybe I should get more Fans or so as stuff gets really hot too. Welp. But aside from that it works like a charm, I'm just worried about the power bill at this point.
(/wah)
natsukaze
Player
Player
Poring
Poring

Postby Zulf » 2019-09-09 00:19 (Monday)

Unfortunately you can't run more than 1 client without having a lot of problems.
Zulf
Player
Player
Poring
Poring

Discord Username: Zulf#1587

Postby kaila » 2020-02-11 16:13 (Tuesday)

2 clients on linux? I use wine/playonlinux just fine.

That is, I tried to play ro again after years, but meanwhile I have switched to linux completely, and was unwilling to switch to windows to make it work ... I didn't find this topic at the time of trying to make ro run, so I just used windows version in wine and it crashed magnificently... :D In the end, I used tech-savvy person help, but it seems that adding some libraries to wine (see spoiler1) is all that is needed to run RO in my case. It works flawlessly in fullscreen in virtual (= in its' own window in linux desktop :D )... I managed to play 2 clients by using playonlinux- by creating 2 separate launchers in playonlinux. (spoiler 2). Don't know whether I should be posting this, but maybe someone will find this useful.

(oh, and edit: don't ask me how, but for me, RO seems to use the same amount of resources whether 1 or 2 instances run )

Spoiler: show

Spoiler: show
kaila
Player
Player
Poring
Poring

Previous

Return to Technical Support