Gunslinger Builds

Gunslinger Builds

Postby zatiel » 2018-10-12 04:22 (Friday)

(/go)

Desperate Life of a Gunslinger

Preface: I'm a casual player looking to challenge myself by playing Gunslinger main and try to become useful in many aspects of the game. Not looking to state one "perfect" build, but rather looking to create as many characters & build iterations as possible to cover all parts of Ragnarok (PvM, MVP, PVP, WoE, zeny-farming, rares-farming, etc.).

LE POPULAR BUILDS

These are the most popular builds I've witnessed for Gunslingers. These are not mutually exclusive and you can take parts to mix & match. Note that I'm not comparing vs. other classes as I'm sure other classes are better suited for different things - The purpose of this guide is to help create good & useful builds for Gunslingers.

Desperado Tanks

This build focuses on the arguably strongest skill of the Gunslinger class Desperado. It's all about getting a mob, luring them in close and letting loose with Desperado.

Stats: Focus is DEX for damage, VIT to help survive mobs, then spend remainder of points in INT for SP and STR for weight capacity and some minor attack boost. AGI is pretty much ignored for this build since it doesn't have much impact in decreasing skill delay of Desperado.
  • Keep DEX in multiples of 10. Ideal minimum is to have your DEX reach at least 110 with job & equip bonuses (no Blessing). Aim to hit 120 to 130 for max damage! This applies to most if not all Gunslinger builds.
  • Keep VIT as high as you prefer. No real "multiple" rule for this one. Purpose is to increase HP and DEF to handle mobs. VIT is usually better than AGI when it comes to mobbing, since Flee reduction/penalty when facing multiple enemies & having more HP is generally safer.
  • For INT, just pump a few points. Note that the Gunslinger class suffers from poor SP in general. INT doesn't add much in terms of max SP or SP recovery - but it's still smart to invest a few points. Try to get enough SP to cast minimum 8x Desperado.
  • For STR, since we're using ranged weapons the attack bonus is less and only comes in at multiples of 5. Otherwise increase STR for more weight capacity for bullets and items.
  • For LUK, similar to STR, the attack bonus only comes in at multiples of 5. Invest minimal points in here just to hit a 5 multiple
  • For AGI, stick to 1 only, unless you're considering a hybrid build.

Skills:
  • Desperado - Max at 10. Your main skill
  • Trigger Happy Shot - Max at 10. Prerequisite for Desperado and your best single-target Revolver skill.
  • Increase Accuracy - Get it. 1 minute duration is low, but helps you round out DEX to the 10x multiples
  • Snake Eyes - Max at 10 needed for Increase Accuracy. You actually generally do not need max range for this build, but still helpful
  • Chain Action - Keep at 3 minimum prerequisite. You aren't auto-attacking, so not useful
  • Coin Flip - Max at 5. Helps you upkeep Increase Accuracy, adds some damage.
  • Last Stand - Optional. Expensive for skill points as you end up wasting 10 on Gatling Fever (won't use). Duration is only 15 seconds and you can't move - but can synergize with Desperado.
  • That's pretty much it for Desperado focused build. You'll still have a lot of remaining skill points, so this gives you flexibility to mix in different styles.

Equipment
  • Headgear: Best is probably Apple of Archer for DEX bonus; Or any other as you prefer.
  • Accessories: Zerom Gloves for DEX bonus; Tele-clip for utility; Safety Ring or Necklaces for DEF/VIT
  • Garment: +7 Raydric Muffler is best for mobbing
  • Armor: Mink Coat[1] is currently the best option but rare in OriginsRO. Consider upgraded Coat[1] (from Seals, a famous party leveling area) or Formal Suit[1]. Cards can be Porcellio (more ATK), elemental cards (Bathory, Pasana) or HP (Pupa, PecoPeco).
  • Shoes: Can wear Boots[1]. Cards can be HP (Martyr) and/or SP (Verit, Sohee).
  • Weapons: Unfortunately Desperado is a Revolver-only skill, and revolvers only offer max [2] slots. Use race/element +20% cards if you're hunting specific mobs and/or have size +15%/+5 attack cards for more generic guns. Current best gun is Garrison[2] - obtainable by quest.

Note that archer skeleton cards do not work for Desperado, which is considered a 'close range' type skill.

Consider unique card sets as well which may help in mobbing such as status-upon-damage cards, defensive skills (auto-guard Alarm card, auto-heal Loli card). Earth Deleter card helps a lot with SP management.

Pros
  • High DMG output
  • High survivability

Cons
  • Low SP pool but SP reliant for skills
  • Usually only efficient if you can mob the enemy (at least 3), otherwise solo-killing is quite tedious. Even solo killing with Trigger Happy Shot, its SP cost (40) vs. Desperado (50) makes Desperado more efficient.

Quick Draw Gunslingers

This is all about having fun with attack speed. Weapons can be Revolver, Gatling or even Rifles

Stats: Focus is DEX for damage, AGI for attackspeed and flee. Consider STR for weight capacity and some minor attack boost. Not much need for INT since you're auto-attacking. Consider LUK for mixing in some Critical hits and for minor attack boost. Add some VIT as well to your preference.
  • Keep DEX in multiples of 10. Ideal minimum is to have your DEX reach at least 110 with job & equip bonuses (no Blessing). Aim to hit 120 to 130 for max damage! This applies to most if not all Gunslinger builds.
  • Keep AGI as high as you want. No real "multiple" rule for this one. Purpose is to increase attack speed and Flee to help handle mobs.
  • For INT, just pump a few points. Focus is to have enough to cast your buffs & reserve for skill use emergencies. Note that the Gunslinger class suffers from poor SP in general. INT doesn't add much in terms of max SP or SP recovery - but it's still smart to invest a few points.
  • For STR, since we're using ranged weapons the attack bonus is less and only comes in at multiples of 5. Otherwise increase STR for more weight capacity for bullets and items.
  • For LUK, similar to STR, the attack bonus only comes in at multiples of 5. Invest some points in here just to hit a 5 multiple, but more if you want to build in some Crit
  • For VIT, have just as much as you want / can with remaining points.

Skills:
  • Desperado - Max at 10. Still the best Gunslinger Skill. Use it just in case of multiple enemies or if a strong mob reaches you.
  • Trigger Happy Shot - Max at 10. Your best single-target Revolver skill.
  • Increase Accuracy - Get it. 1 minute duration is low, but helps you round out DEX to the 10x multiples
  • Snake Eyes - Max at 10 needed for Increase Accuracy. Range helps.
  • Chain Action - Max at 10 if you're using revolver for auto-attacking. If you're going to focus on Rifles or Gatling, you can keep it at minimum.
  • Coin Flip - Max at 5. Helps you upkeep Increase Accuracy, adds some damage.
  • Gatling Fever - Max at 10 if you're using Gatling Gun or using Last Stand.
  • Single Action - Hit 9 (max.aspd benefit) or 10 (a little extra HIT). Crucial for this attack speed build.
  • Last Stand - I would recommend getting this skill since it greatly boosts attack and attack speed. With it you can easily hit over 185aspd.
  • For other skills, it all depends on the weapons you want to use. If Rifle, then get the Rifle skills (some also work with Revolvers). If Gatling then make sure to get Gatling Fever.

Equipment
  • Headgear: Best is probably Apple of Archer for DEX bonus; consider AGI headgear if preferred.
  • Accessories: Zerom Gloves for DEX bonus; Tele-clip for utility; Kukre Brooches for AGI; Kobold Card / Rosary for Crit.
  • Garment: Undershirt or Whisper Garment
  • Armor: Either Mink Coat[1], Coat[1] or Formal Suit[1] for slotted armor utility, or Pantie (+Undershirt) for AGI.
  • Shoes: Can wear Boots[1]. Best would be AGI cards (Martyr, Male Thief Bug)
  • Weapons:

Revolver: Similar to Desperado writeup. Damage focus
    Rifle: Rifles actually can be fun and still have decent attack speed. Jungle Carbine for pure aspd. There's another rifle which adds Crit, if you want a Critical build - but I don't think it's available yet.
    Gatling: Butcher[1] is the best. With these guns you can easily hit over 186 aspd - and with such high aspd you can have a lot of fun in terms of quirky options and not just +% damage cards. For example: Magnolia inflicts 'Curse' status which helps slow down the enemy. Savage Bebe can stun, Wind Ghost's Jupitel and Bongun's Bash have knockback. You can be creative, but also limited with the single slot and how tedious it is to actually create the weapon

Consider unique card sets as well which may help in mobbing such as status-upon-damage cards, defensive skills (auto-guard Alarm card, auto-heal Loli card). Earth Deleter card helps a lot with SP management.

Pros
  • Steady DMG output
  • ASPD is fun
  • Easy auto-attack life, not very skill reliant
Cons
  • Low SP pool
  • Flee as your main 'survival' mechanism is usually not high enough, so you need to keep the enemies at bay.
  • Weak against mobs

Sub-Builds
These are not quite main builds in themselves, but talk more about the styles you can use when it comes to weapons

Shotgun
  • Shotgun can deal insane single-target damage with Full Blast. The main downside however is that Full Blast has horrible skill delay (but with buffs and bragi, you can relatively spam really well) and huge SP cost. However this skill benefits greatly with Lex Aeterna. Consider switching to Shotgun just for this skill - if you want to 1-2 shot enemies or as a finishing blow.
  • Very few options in terms of weapons: You can just upgrade the store-bought Black Rose[1] and put in damage cards, or just get pure attack power from the Gatekeeper shotgun (have yet to see it in OriginsRO)
  • The other two Shotgun skills aren't that useful - Crowd Control Shot just lets you push back enemies, but has bad delay as well. Spread Shot hits a very wide area, but the damage isn't that great especially compared to Desperado (might be useful in hitting mobs from afar in a party, compared to putting yourself at risk with Desperado)
Rifles
  • Tracking is a high single target damage skill as well, but the cast time & delay cannot be reduced by a bard's Bragi and thus inferior to Full Blast, Desperado and even Trigger Happy Shot in terms of DPS. Consider getting if you'll try mostly using Rifles
  • Wounding Shot, Bullseye and Disarm are all status-inflicting skills, so these are highly situational or used if you're in a de-buff type support role.

Grenade Launcher
  • Main skill: Triple Action - which lets you shoot 3x in one go. With grenade launchers (highest weapon attack) this is extremely efficient and spammable (replacing auto-attacking).
  • Main benefit of grenade launcher is that you have elemental bullets (i.e. no need for Sage endow). Downside is that you have to craft these bullets.
  • The only Grenade Launcher skill "Gunsligner Mine" is pretty weak; only consider again in a support role or just for fun if you're all-in on shotgun skills (prerequisites)

A few points to ponder on for Gunslinger class:
  • Actually has extremely high DPS potential with good setup. Ideal setup is having endow + Bragi + SP song for spamming Desperado, Full Blast, Trigger Happy Shot. I've had a few party experiences where the setup was good and Desperado alone was enough to clear mobs (seals, niff parties)
  • The best Revolver, Gatling Gun and Grenade Launcher weapons are from quests only.
  • A key disadvantage is that unlike with bows, Gunslingers only have plain (neutral) bullets or silver (holy) bullets. For all other elements, you need endow from a sage.
  • Tip: When mobbing with Desperado, try to run zigzag and/or in a circle to round them up (especially if handling mobs with different move speed). Once you've attracted enough mobs, select a cell they'll all run to - with you preferable in the middle and with them surrounding you (i.e. not just coming from one side). Once they're 3-5 cells away you can already start casting Desperado - if you have high enough damage and good timing you can usually kill the mob before they actually all hit you.
  • Desperado says 7x7 but anything beyond 3x3 or 4x4 from you as the center will not get hit enough reliably. Try to cast Desperado only when they're within closer range so they can get hit more.
Last edited by zatiel on 2018-10-17 04:17 (Wednesday), edited 2 times in total.
zatiel
Player
Player
Drops
Drops

Re: Gunslinger Builds

Postby zed638 » 2018-10-12 08:17 (Friday)

Really nice guide, Zatiel (/ok)

Gunslingers are a really niche class to get into but they're so much fun.

Also, if you're able to get a Dancer with the Crit song, try pursuing a Crit max ASPD Gatling Gun build (/gg) it's pretty epic.

And about the Archer Skel Card, yes, it doesn't work on Desperado, but does work with every other skill that is considered Ranged.
Main Char: Bacon
zed638
Player
Player
Poporing
Poporing

Discord Username: @CrispyBacon0001

Postby zatiel » 2018-10-17 04:15 (Wednesday)

Thanks! I'm still in the process of actually leveling up my gunslingers and getting equipment - but I've asked around a lot and learned about the styles, equips and play-techniques.

So far my best experiences with gunslinger is that I'm actually able to prevent party wipeouts - e.g. when Niff/Seal mobs get past the tank or precast, I'm at the back and then spam Desperado to kill them before all the squishies at the back die (/no1)

Noted on archer skeleton cards not working with Desperado! (/pif)

With regards to your suggested Crit Gatling build - any tips on the equipment / cards / stats? (/?)
zatiel
Player
Player
Drops
Drops

Postby Lios » 2018-10-19 14:03 (Friday)

I have a GS with full buster, the single target damage is ENORMOUS, the downside is you need some chars to support it: priest(buffs,lex), sage(endow), dancer(sp)
Spent stats in dex only, thinking of which hybrid to make, need input from actual GS' (non-woe) which one is good/fun and which requirements you need
- vit, desperado, earth deleter card?
- aspd, agi, crit, gatling?
Lios
Player
Player
Drops
Drops

Postby zatiel » 2018-11-05 08:49 (Monday)

I have a GS with full buster, the single target damage is ENORMOUS, the downside is you need some chars to support it: priest(buffs,lex), sage(endow), dancer(sp)
Spent stats in dex only, thinking of which hybrid to make, need input from actual GS' (non-woe) which one is good/fun and which requirements you need
- vit, desperado, earth deleter card?
- aspd, agi, crit, gatling?

Yes true and I agree 100%. Your "true potential" as a GS only comes out with a full setup party. I'm a non-WOE person as well.

- I have 80 vit and it helps me survive stronger mobbing (at least vs. agi)
- I don't really see the value of earth deleter card given how expensive it is for this server. I haven't used one to be honest, so I'm just hypothesizing, but my understanding is that you'd get this card mroe to do solo-sustain - in which case it still isn't enough to overcome GS's crappy SP pool.

- I'm making a aspd/agi/gattling GS as well, but quite slowly. but so far it's amusing to see how fast you are with the gattling skill
zatiel
Player
Player
Drops
Drops

Postby heueck » 2018-11-05 19:20 (Monday)

I started a Gunny yesterday and had a lot of fun. the dmg output is enorm and i only have a crimson bolt with no cards.

with cards and Lex you Can pretty much oneshot everything worth for leveling.

I got to lvl 74 in about 5 or 6 hours, which isnt bad for no equipment and solo play, Ill guess.

tbh endow helps a lot.

how to get garrison, lighthalzen isnt implemented yet, isnt it?
Einarson - Hunter
Pigtails!- Priest
Daniel Lugo - Crusader
John Preston - Gunslinger WOE
.:Balthasar:. - Monk
Henrietta - Gunny MVP
Agibaba - Knight

more to come...

Focker's Rule =)
heueck
Player
Player
Poporing
Poporing

Postby Mathy » 2018-11-06 12:21 (Tuesday)

heueck wrote:I started a Gunny yesterday and had a lot of fun.  the dmg output is enorm and i only have a crimson bolt with no cards.

with cards and Lex you Can pretty much oneshot everything worth for leveling.

I got to lvl 74 in about 5 or 6 hours, which isnt bad for no equipment and solo play, Ill guess.

tbh endow helps a lot.

how to get garrison, lighthalzen isnt implemented yet, isnt it?

http://wiki.originsro.org/wiki/Gunsling ... 1.5D_Quest
Mathy
Developer
Developer
Angeling
Angeling

GitLab User ID: @Mathy
Discord Username: Mathy#4278
IRC nickname: Mathy

Return to Einbroch Gunslinger Guild