[ERROR] Failed to connect to server

Post here to ask for technical support with your game client, patcher, kRO/Sakray Setup
Forum rules
****** !!! A T T E N T I O N !!! ******

Before opening a new support request or replying to an existing one, please make sure you read the General Troubleshooting Instructions.
Only if the instructions described there don't resolve - or don't apply to - your issue, please open a new thread, stating what you did so far.

Any requests that clearly don't follow these instructions may be ignored, locked, or deleted.

****** !!! A T T E N T I O N !!! ******

[ERROR] Failed to connect to server

Postby pranavrules » July 11th, 2018, 7:01 pm

Greetings all,

Ever since the host provider went kaput on July 5th I've not been able to connect.

I can ping game.originsro.org just fine, but cannot connect from in-game. The launcher works fine, but says OriginRO is N/A. I've attached the error report generated by the launcher if that helps.

Thanks!
Attachments
OriginsROReport.txt
(733 Bytes) Downloaded 6 times
pranavrules
Player
Player
Poring
Poring

Re: [ERROR] Failed to connect to server

Postby pranavrules » July 11th, 2018, 7:04 pm

Also, is there a lite client for OriginsRO that I can download? I think the error report's saying OriginsroPatcher.exe is missing? I don't want to download the 2.1 Gig file again just for that one exe.
pranavrules
Player
Player
Poring
Poring

Postby Mathy » July 11th, 2018, 10:44 pm

pranavrules wrote:Also, is there a lite client for OriginsRO that I can download? I think the error report's saying OriginsroPatcher.exe is missing? I don't want to download the 2.1 Gig file again just for that one exe.

None.

Check if the file is missing. If it is indeed missing, your antivirus might have blown it up.

Just keep the zip around if you don't want to redownload the entire thing.
Mathy
Developer
Developer
Metaling
Metaling

GitLab User ID: @Mathy
Discord Username: Mathy#4278
IRC nickname: Mathy

Postby pranavrules » July 12th, 2018, 3:19 pm

Mathy wrote:
pranavrules wrote:Also, is there a lite client for OriginsRO that I can download? I think the error report's saying OriginsroPatcher.exe is missing? I don't want to download the 2.1 Gig file again just for that one exe.

None.

Check if the file is missing. If it is indeed missing, your antivirus might have blown it up.

I don't have that great of a connection to download the file. The first time took around 6-7 hours since I was getting 100-200 Kbps max download speeds. Can you please at least upload it to a mirror? Your provider is capping the down pipe seems like.

Is there no way to generate a lite client (without the remaining kRO files)?

At least a mirror for the file please.

Thank you!
pranavrules
Player
Player
Poring
Poring

Postby Mathy » July 12th, 2018, 4:54 pm

pranavrules wrote:
Mathy wrote:

None.

I don't have that great of a connection to download the file. The first time took around 6-7 hours since I was getting 100-200 Kbps max download speeds. Can you please at least upload it to a mirror? Your provider is capping the down pipe seems like.

Is there no way to generate a lite client (without the remaining kRO files)?

At least a mirror for the file please.

Thank you!

You can download the multi-part. I think it's 5 parts. Those are provided by a CDN. They will be much faster.
Mathy
Developer
Developer
Metaling
Metaling

Postby pranavrules » July 12th, 2018, 4:58 pm

Alright, I got the download complete and you were right about the AV blitzing the file. The default Windows 10 defender keeps marking the launcher as a false-positive and keeps deleting it. Is there any way around this? I can't get to add it to the exclusions list. What is that file doing exactly? Can't I play without it? I don't want to tweak my security rules just to play a game. The machine also belongs to an AD so I don't have higher privileges to rip out defender completely.

Any suggestions would be really grateful.

I just want to play some RO. Not sure what happened since July 5th, it was working just fine before that.
pranavrules
Player
Player
Poring
Poring

Postby pranavrules » July 12th, 2018, 5:09 pm

Oh my god, did the host IP address change in your last patch? I wonder if I just update the GRF outside my computer via your patcher and copy it back into my machine, I think that should fix it. That's probably why I couldn't connect.

Just a quick suggestion;
I never knew till this moment that you have a SEPARATE patcher and SEPARATE launcher. Why? No wonder I've been scratching my head for so long. I didn't have the updated GRF and since the patcher was nuked on July 5th for a false positive for w/e reason, I haven't been able to UPDATE the damn game. And here I'm thinking it's your host that's bad.
pranavrules
Player
Player
Poring
Poring

Postby Mathy » July 12th, 2018, 6:58 pm

Hmmmm because a patcher and a launcher are separate things o.o

A launcher is meant to manage the game settings, verify state of the files, and launch the programs.
A client and a patcher are specialized programs that do what is advertised. If the launcher can't find the patcher, it will tell you, which is the "OriginsRO N/A" you were seeing.
Mathy
Developer
Developer
Metaling
Metaling

Postby pranavrules » July 12th, 2018, 8:00 pm

Alright, after several attempts at this, I'm hitting a wall.

I tried spinning up a VM to test my theory out. The patcher works beautifully in Windows 7 sandboxed within a VM without any antivirus running. But the moment I copy the data over to my Windows 10 host machine (w/ Defender running), it craps out and the file's deleted; which shouldn't matter because the game should be patched already, right? WRONG. It just doesn't like the fact that the patcher is missing for some reason.

I checked Thor patcher's Git and no one seems to have to tracked this as an issue. A few Google searches show that Thor patcher keeps getting flagged as false positives no matter what you do. I'm pretty sure this is just the beginning and I'm using specific revisions of Windows so I have a feeling once people are updated to that version, they will start getting the same error leaving a lot players unable to login.

Is there ANY way I can sidestep having to run the exe (oriro.exe) from the patcher?
pranavrules
Player
Player
Poring
Poring

Postby pranavrules » July 12th, 2018, 8:19 pm

GOD DAMN SUCCESS BOIS

Only took 7 days to figure out.

1) Spin up Win 7 x64 Sandboxed VM - WITHOUT ANY SECURITY TOOLS (NO ANTIVIRUS, NO ANTIMALWARE, NO ESSENTIAL SECURITY)
2) Download oRO inside VM
3) Extract, update/run patcher
4) Copy contents of the folder into main Windows 10 base OS
5) Defender will delete patcher, which doesn't matter; just use the launcher instead
6) ???
7) Profit.

Proof:
pranavrules
Player
Player
Poring
Poring

Next

Return to Technical Support