Gank, Bow vs Dagger - Rogue

Discuss about Thieves and derived classes. Note that this isn't the place where to post guides (those should go into our wiki), but to discuss builds and ask for help.

Gank, Bow vs Dagger - Rogue

Postby Mr Phyzz » February 25th, 2017, 5:15 pm

Hi,
Im pretty new to the server (actually waiting for the client to download) and was wondering about the Gank mechanism. Does it need to be in melee range? Also wondering how well do bow rogues fair here?
Whats more recommended, to start out a dagger rogue or bow rogue?

Thanks in advance! Hope to see you guys inside soon!
Mr Phyzz
Player
Player
Poring
Poring

Re: Gank, Bow vs Dagger - Rogue

Postby Tekky » February 25th, 2017, 6:52 pm

Gank only works when performing melee attacks, it does not work with a bow.

I'd say both builds work fine for a newer player. The bow Rogue might want a Sidewinder Card fairly quickly, but getting enough zeny for that shouldn't take too long. The melee Rogue would want VVS elemental daggers anyway, those would cost just as much.

I'd go with what you feel more comfortable with.
Tekky
Player
Player
Poporing
Poporing

Postby Franky4Fingers » February 27th, 2017, 7:40 pm

I wrote a guide on Dagger Gank rogue. My opinion is that Bow Rogues are lesser Hunters, and that Dagger Rogues are the way to fully take advantage of their diverse skill set. This might help you decide :-)

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1230

Having said that, there is a particular hybrid build on Rogue that would allow you to use both bow and dagger, for the cost of Plagiarism. You would have high Dex (80-90 ish for max damage on bows, high chances of steal, and better average DPS) relatively  high agi/str (60-70 for higher attack speed, and damage with daggers). This allows you to target monsters with Double Strafe, that are out of your reach going melee. This is a Jack of All trade kind of build.

Hope that helps
Franky4Fingers - Farmer Rogue
F4F - Hybrid Sin
Franky4Fingers
Player
Player
Poporing
Poporing

Postby Sanvone » March 1st, 2017, 3:06 am

According to ORO item database Bow Rogue is one of the last classes who would want a Sidewinder card. For reasons unknown to me it doesn't work as on others pre-Renewal servers. Maybe it wasn't working as this on current episode. Maybe it was but for some reasons it was changed on this server.

I would recomend dagger rogue because bow rogue doesn't compare in my eyes to Hunter in PvE.
As I see this:
+ Rogues have more flee (like 20+)
+ Rogues have more sp,
+ Rogues have Snatch which means less fly wings or sp on teleport is used,
+ Rogues have Backslide (which is nice in open maps)
+ Rogues can use Berserk Potions
+ Rogues can copy skills (Monk Trifecta is nice)
+ Rogues have build in Hide skill + Stalk
+ Bow Rogues can gank to limited extent

- Hunters have Improved Concentration = way more Dex and slightly more Agi,
- Hunters have passive skills which increases Dex even more,
- Hunters have access to slightly better ranged gear (Tights, Binoculars),
- Hunters will have slightly more ASPD,
- Hunters have higher Damage,
- Hunters have Falcon (which IMO is better than copied Trifecta Blow from monks) so they can deal better with armored enemies + it gives detection,
- Hunters have Charged Arrow (which is better than Backslide in closed space)
- Hunters have easier access to traps and they can make Arrows,
- Hunters have easier access to some area of effect abilities (Rogue will have to copy aoe)

Best Regards!
Bandyta - Gank Rogue 85/50
Touch Me - Battle Alchemist 70/34
Junona - Bolter Sage 75/46
Sanvone
Player
Player
Poring
Poring

Postby Mathy » March 1st, 2017, 9:04 am

Sanvone wrote:According to ORO item database Bow Rogue is one of the last classes who would want a Sidewinder card. For reasons unknown to me it doesn't work as on others pre-Renewal servers. Maybe it wasn't working as this on current episode. Maybe it was but for some reasons it was changed on this server.

What the hell? We never had someone reporting that to us. Is Sidewinder broken here?
Mathy
Developer
Developer
Metaling
Metaling

GitLab User ID: @Mathy
Discord Username: Mathy#4278
IRC nickname: Mathy

Postby Berry » March 1st, 2017, 12:33 pm

Sidewinder's card description might be a bit misleading, but the effect is of level 10 double attack if you already have the skill at level 10. Sidewinder on a bow rogue works just fine.
Thoughts? Questions? Concerns? Wanna get the number to that super hot blacksmith you saw the other day? PM me on:
Cranberry
Dewberry
Blackberry
...Or various other Berries
Berry
Player
Player
Marin
Marin

Postby Sanvone » March 1st, 2017, 12:51 pm

My bad.  (/sry)
Didn't test it - just checked this with ORO database and iRO Classic Database + talked about it with people on main (where everyone agreed) so took it for granted. Somebody was suggesting that it was a balance change cause Bow Rogues were too good. But description is really misleading.

ORO
"Causes Double Attack by 5% chance.
If character has learned Double Attack, this card won't take effect."

vs.

other pre-renewal
" Enables the use of [Double Attack] Lv 1 or the user's level if its higher, on the weapon. "

Thanks Berry for revealing the truth.
Best Regards!
Bandyta - Gank Rogue 85/50
Touch Me - Battle Alchemist 70/34
Junona - Bolter Sage 75/46
Sanvone
Player
Player
Poring
Poring

Postby Damocles » August 13th, 2017, 2:50 pm

My dagger rogues are actually still fun to level and can deal better with certain mobs than other classes can. The bow rogue I'm making (pvp/woe build) is a pain to level and doesn't excel against any mob. So I'd go for a dagger rogue first.

The guide that Franky4Fingers mentioned before is quite good. My personal build is agi/str/dex with a bit of int/vit (I forgot how much). Elemental daggers are a nice investment, but in the long run you should really use carded daggers and an endow sage.
Damocles
Player
Player
Drops
Drops

Return to Morocc Thief Guild