WoE Wizard

Discuss about Magicians and derived classes. Note that this isn't the place where to post guides (those should go into our wiki), but to discuss builds and ask for help.

WoE Wizard

Postby Jackson » January 4th, 2017, 3:47 pm

Hey people!
I hereby present my WoE Wizard, which I am currently playing.
I would be delighted if the discussion is based on figures and facts while personal preferences are clearly stated as such. Please bear in mind that this build is also exclusively focusing on War of Emperium. PvM, MvP and leveling capabilites are completely ignored.

Image Image

Let's start with the stats. It's base + job bonus + potential equip bonus.

STR 1 + 1
AGI 1 + 8
VIT 80 +1
INT 90 + 12 (+8) + 10 Blessing
DEX 64 + 6 + (12)+ 10 Blessing
LUK 10 + 2

Let me quickly remind you how MATK is connectec to INT. Minimum MATK gets a boost at multiples of 7 while maximum MATK gets boosted at multiples of 5. Therefore a total INT of 105, 110, 112, 115, 119 and 120 is desireable. Note that I marked the important 112 and 120 total INT, which this build is focusing on.

There is basically two sets of items you can and want to use:
  • INT set:
    Equipping the classic Evil Bone Wand Image and two Earrings Image let's you end up with a total of 120 INT. In case of my favorite example Storm Gust Image it would lead to a cast time of slightly less than 8 seconds. Considering a level 99 Knight with Drooping Cat and Silk Robe, i.e. a dummy with 25 MDEF and 40% resistance against damage from demi-human sources, Storm Gust would hit for 609 - 1053 (average 831) damage.

• DEX set:
    Perks of this stat build would be hitting 112 INT even without any further INT gear. You are therefore free to use Nimble Gloves Image and Quadrupple Dexterous Rod Image which aids a moderate 12 DEX bonus, meaning 8% faster cast time, resulting in 6.8 seconds cast time for Storm Gust. Again calculating the damage against the dummy mentioned above one would deal 545 - 898 (average 721) damage.

However you can always use Poopoo Hat Image and Cranial Guard Image. In combination with Immune Muffler Image (or Ginie's Muffler) and Energy Coat you end up being quite resilient.

You might have noticed the exceptionally high VIT. This is the main characteristics of the build. Plain facts first: the total hp would be 5889 hp. Always having a dancer's Scream/Dazzler Image in mind you'd have a 81% chance to resist the 50% base stun chance of that skill, meaning you'd be effected by stun only in roughly 1 out of 10 attempts and even then only for 0.95 seconds instead of 5 seconds (which is ridicolously long as you all might know).
If you are further interested in Status effects please remember, that iRO classic mechanics differ (partially a lot) from pre-renewal or even renewal mechanics!

Well last but not least everything that is left to spend stat point wise goes into DEX and that 10th point in LUK (which could also be spent for an additional point of STR). The total 70 DEX (in case of INT-based equipment and no Blessing) is incidentally hitting a multiple of 10. As every point of DEX reduces the cast time by 2/3 % you'd cut the cast time by slightly less then 47% (or ~61% respectively with DEX gear and Blessing).

So now let's have a look at the skills. As always: a picture replaces wall of text.

The main portion of the skills is pretty much obligatory.
Storm Gust Image and Meteor Storm Image are essentials as Meteor Storm is stackable and can be used when a high-MATK wizard (the infamous 130 INT one) is casting Storm Gust already.
Safetywall Image is more than handy to protect yourself and the emperium.
Stone Curse Image is indespensable as commonly used Marc cards make Frost Diver void and can be replaced with a low rank Storm Gust if really needed (for comparison: a level 1 SG has a base cast time of 6 seconds, reduced to 3.2 seconds with 70 DEX).
Also (loved by friends and foes) Quagmire Image should not be missing and sicnce the effect and more important duration are depending on the level one should get max rank.
One could become philosophical about Waterball Image but as it is the strongest single-target spell in the game why dismiss its potential. If a sage with Deluge Image is at hand it becomes an equivalent threat to Asura Strike.

However this skill build leaves one open with 10 unallocated skill points, which I personally would put into Firebolt (5 ->10) Image and JT (3 -> 8) Image. Alternatively one could consider SP Recovery, Heavens Drive, Earth Spike or Soul Strike also. In any case one should get either Firebolt (synergizes with Stone Course) or Jupitel Thunder (synergizes with frozen ailment from Storm Gust) at max rank as you'd else lack a strong single target spell.

This build is aiming for high surviveability, nearly uninterruptable pre-cast and moderate damage output. I did not take into account active support from priests (except Blessing), Bards, Dancers or other classes to not get into a What-Would-Be-Possible-Discussion.
Last edited by Jackson on February 9th, 2017, 4:23 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Jackson
Player
Player
Santa Poring
Santa Poring

Re: WoE Wizard

Postby Mathy » January 4th, 2017, 5:09 pm

Nice RMS icons
Mathy
Developer
Developer
Mastering
Mastering

IRC nickname: Mathy

Re: WoE Wizard

Postby Jackson » January 5th, 2017, 10:49 am

I slightly edited the post.
  • Added damage numbers of level 10 Storm Gust for an individual hit on a defined dummy depending on the two equipment sets.
  • Added a short explanation on DEX's impact on cast time and gave the corresponding numbers.
Jackson
Player
Player
Santa Poring
Santa Poring

Return to Geffen Magician Guild