File Permissions for Windows

Post here to ask for technical support with your game client, patcher, kRO/Sakray Setup
Forum rules
****** !!! A T T E N T I O N !!! ******

Before opening a new support request or replying to an existing one, please make sure you read the General Troubleshooting Instructions.
Only if the instructions described there don't resolve - or don't apply to - your issue, please open a new thread, stating what you did so far.

Any requests that clearly don't follow these instructions may be ignored, locked, or deleted.

****** !!! A T T E N T I O N !!! ******

File Permissions for Windows

Postby Haru » 2014-03-06 19:27 (Thursday)

If you want to install OriginsRO in a folder other than your Desktop or your Documents folder, you need to take some additionl steps in order to ensure your client will be able to download updates and save settings and screenshots, without having to run it as Administrator every time.

This guide assumes you already downloaded and installed the client, for example, in C:\.

• Right-click the folder you have installed the client into, and choose Properties

• Go to the Security tab and click the Advanced button.

• Click the Add button under the list that shows up.

• Click Select a principal.

• Click Advanced.

• Click Find Now.

• Choose Users from the list, and click OK.

• Click again OK.

• Make sure the settings are as follows:

Type: Allow
    Applies to: This folder, subfolders and files
    Basic permissions: All the checkboxes enabled
    Only apply these permissions to objects and/or containers within this container: disabled

Then press OK

• Enable the checkbox Replace all child object permission entries with inheritable permission entries from this object, then click OK.

• Confirm the security check with Yes.

• Finally, close the Properties window with OK.
Haru
Admin
Admin
Stapo
Stapo

GitLab User ID: @MishimaHaruna
Discord Username: @Haru#1055
IRC nickname: Haru

Re: File Permissions for Windows

Postby Darkie » 2014-03-07 10:00 (Friday)

Sweet as worked a treat (/gawi)
Darkie
Player
Player
Drops
Drops

Postby Tricky » 2015-02-05 17:46 (Thursday)

Haru wrote:Enable the checkbox Replace all child object permission entries with inheritable permission entries from this object, then click OK.

At this point I get:

An error occured while applying security information to:

C:\OriginsRO\mfc110.dll

Failed to enumerate objects in the container. Access is denied

And then the same message for:
\mfc110u.dll
\msv110.dll
\msvcr110.dll
\orid.orp
\OptionInfo.lua
\skin\default
\skin\scribbling kid\
\skin\((some weird symbols I can't reproduce on my keyboard)).txt

Also, the client won't run at all when I try to bypass all this by running the executable as an administrator. Only the launcer does, but not without giving me the error message "The ordinal 4368 could not be located in the dynamic link library C:\ Program Files (x86)Intel\iCLS Client\ssleay32.dll".
Tricky
Player
Player
Santa Poring
Santa Poring

Postby Haru » 2015-02-05 20:21 (Thursday)

What happens if you move those files out of the RO folder (for example to an USB drive or even to a .zip archive), and then back in? Does it let you remove them?

As for the ssleay32.dll issue, does it help if you drop this into your RO folder? (it's the copy of ssleay32 that ships with the library I used to compile the launcher)
Haru
Admin
Admin
Stapo
Stapo

Postby Tricky » 2015-02-05 21:10 (Thursday)

Haru wrote:What happens if you move those files out of the RO folder (for example to an USB drive or even to a .zip archive), and then back in? Does it let you remove them?

Yeah, that worked. Wow. That's the quirkiest Windows trick I've ever seen. :shock:

As for the ssleay32.dll issue, does it help if you drop this into your RO folder? (it's the copy of ssleay32 that ships with the library I used to compile the launcher)

That doesn't do anything, although the launcher still starts. The game itself still won't start, but now I see a white box before it crashes.
Tricky
Player
Player
Santa Poring
Santa Poring

Postby Tricky » 2015-02-05 22:09 (Thursday)

Forgot to say, now I also get two 'ordinal' errors instead. The Ordinal 3905 in additon to 4368. I'm pretty sure it was only the latter before.
Tricky
Player
Player
Santa Poring
Santa Poring

Postby Tricky » 2015-02-05 22:15 (Thursday)

I copied the directory to the Desktop and that did make it work. I don't really want it there though. FPS is horrible until I tab out and back into the game. Weird.
Tricky
Player
Player
Santa Poring
Santa Poring

Postby Haru » 2015-02-06 00:28 (Friday)

Please ignore the ssleay issue for now then (it should hopefully be fixed with the upcoming version of the launcher, since I'll be switching to a different SDK version that uses different DLLs.)

Is your Desktop (and user folder) on a different drive than where you actually want the game? If not, would C:\Users\<Your user> be a reasonable place to put it? It should give similar results to the Desktop, permissions-wise...

About the FPS issue, can you check whether the 'Reduce CPU usage when in background' setting changes anything? You can find that in the Launcher's settings page. Pressing Ctrl-S while in-game also toggles between high and low priority for the Ragnarok process, so it might help improving things (or making them worse).
Haru
Admin
Admin
Stapo
Stapo

Postby Tricky » 2015-02-06 16:33 (Friday)

Haru wrote:Is your Desktop (and user folder) on a different drive than where you actually want the game? If not, would C:\Users\<Your user> be a reasonable place to put it? It should give similar results to the Desktop, permissions-wise...

Yeah, I guess it would. Thanks for the tip.

About the FPS issue, can you check whether the 'Reduce CPU usage when in background' setting changes anything?

Nope. Didn't notice a thing.

Pressing Ctrl-S while in-game also toggles between high and low priority for the Ragnarok process, so it might help improving things (or making them worse).

I notice no change. The only thing that seems to work reliably is alt-tabbing every time the client launches. It's like it's not properly set to the foreground. Maybe something blocks it?

Would it help in any way if the client had an installer? It's all so.. bypassy. (/hmm)
Tricky
Player
Player
Santa Poring
Santa Poring

Postby Tricky » 2015-02-08 09:18 (Sunday)

Tricky
Player
Player
Santa Poring
Santa Poring

Next

Return to Technical Support