How-To: Play OriginsRO on Linux

Post here to ask for technical support with your game client, patcher, kRO/Sakray Setup
Forum rules
****** !!! A T T E N T I O N !!! ******

Before opening a new support request or replying to an existing one, please make sure you read the General Troubleshooting Instructions.
Only if the instructions described there don't resolve - or don't apply to - your issue, please open a new thread, stating what you did so far.

Any requests that clearly don't follow these instructions may be ignored, locked, or deleted.

****** !!! A T T E N T I O N !!! ******

How-To: Play OriginsRO on Linux

Postby acampbell » 2019-01-24 23:45 (Thursday)

How to play OriginsRO on a Linux-based computer

Requirements
You'll need to be running a distribution compatible with Lutris and be able to run Wine.
Basically, if you're on a desktop or laptop PC and you have an operating system made in the last few years, then you should have no problems.

Installation Steps
It's really, really easy to get started with OriginsRO on Linux. Here's all you have to do:

1. Install a recent version of Wine Staging.
  2. Install Lutris.
  3. Install OriginsRO from Lutris.

Don't worry, I will walk you through those steps as best as I can. The image examples are for Fedora, but if you follow the instructions linked you should be fine.

1. Install wine-staging

Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora
You can use the instructions from this third-party website. Failing that, follow the instructions for your distribution from this page on WineHQ.

Arch Linux
Install the wine-staging package:
Code: Select all
sudo pacman -S wine-staging

2. Install Lutris

Follow the instructions for your distribution from this page on the Lutris website.

3. Install OriginsRO from Lutris

Once you've got Lutris installed, visit the OriginsRO page on Lutris, click the Install button, and it'll download and extract the game files.

You can then launch the game from Lutris.

Support

If it's just not working, or you need help in any way, you can contact me:
  • Discord, my name is acampbell (Chartax#7117)
  • OriginsRO IRC channel (acampbell).
  • Reply to this thread
  • PM me on the forums (acampbell)

Known issues
  • Full screen mode doesn't work very well in wine.
    Fix: Use a virtual desktop in the resolution of your monitor, then configure OriginsRO to play in a borderless window.
  • When I run multiple clients and press the X to close one of them, all of the clients exit.
    Fix: Use "Quit to Windows" from the main menu to exit rather than the X at the top-right corner.
  • I want to have multiple windowed clients and alt-tab between them, but it doesn't work properly.
    Fix: Use a virtual desktop and set up the OriginsRO client to start in Windowed mode. You'll be able to move the clients around the virtual desktop.
  • I want to have multiple clients with different configurations!
    Fix: You'll probably have to setup multiple copies of the game and/or multiple prefixes - contact me on Discord for support if you're trying to do something advanced like this.
Last edited by acampbell on 2019-01-28 09:55 (Monday), edited 2 times in total.
TroubleshootingOriginsRO WikiOriginsRO Control PanelHow-To: OriginsRO on Linux

My characters:
Valdis • Zayn • Chartax • Rhigaerd • WallStreetTrading • Tylund • Vazel • Kelsier • Asier
acampbell
Player
Player
Santa Poring
Santa Poring

GitLab User ID: @Chartax
Discord Username: @Chartax#7117
IRC nickname: acampbell

Re: How-To: Play OriginsRO on Linux

Postby Mathy » 2019-01-25 18:51 (Friday)

Thanks for this. I haven't tested it myself yet (I got it to work by myself on my Linux installation), but I will try your method to see if I can get rid of a very annoying graphical glitch that I found.
Mathy
Developer
Developer
Angeling
Angeling

GitLab User ID: @Mathy
Discord Username: Mathy#4278
IRC nickname: Mathy

Postby acampbell » 2019-01-25 20:36 (Friday)

Mathy wrote:Thanks for this. I haven't tested it myself yet (I got it to work by myself on my Linux installation), but I will try your method to see if I can get rid of a very annoying graphical glitch that I found.

What’s the glitch? I didn’t need to install any winetricks or anything special at all in Wine3.14 and it works pretty much flawlessly! (Arch Linux, proprietary NVIDIA drivers)

My characters:
Valdis • Zayn • Chartax • Rhigaerd • WallStreetTrading • Tylund • Vazel • Kelsier • Asier
acampbell
Player
Player
Santa Poring
Santa Poring

Postby Mathy » 2019-01-26 22:14 (Saturday)

On my AMD card, I get texture glitches. I mean, textures get randomly replaced by garbage in the video memory. For instance, foliage on trees can get replaced by Bigfoot sprites, or character heads. Wall textures sometimes appear instead of bridge textures etc.
Mathy
Developer
Developer
Angeling
Angeling

Postby Tekky » 2019-01-27 21:28 (Sunday)

Got any tips on how to improve performance? Virtual desktop and fullscreen seems to perform the best for me, but it's not as smooth as in Windows sadly.
Tekky
Player
Player
Poporing
Poporing

Postby acampbell » 2019-01-28 10:00 (Monday)

Mathy wrote:On my AMD card, I get texture glitches. I mean, textures get randomly replaced by garbage in the video memory.

Ouch, that sounds like a fun one. It's almost certainly an AMD related issue. My suggestion would be to try another driver. I'd guess you're using the open source one (AMDGPU) - I'd suggest trying the proprietary one (AMDGPU-PRO or Catalyst, depending on your GPU version). Happy to help with this, feel free to reach out to me on Discord.

Tekky wrote:Got any tips on how to improve performance?

Performance should be comparable to Windows if things are working properly (/no1)

You can try out different Wine versions until you get one that works best for you (I use 3.14 without issues) and tinker with the game settings (Disable fog and that sort of thing.) I didn't have any performance issues personally so I didn't have anything to try and 'fix', so I'm sorry if these suggestions aren't helpful!

My characters:
acampbell
Player
Player
Santa Poring
Santa Poring

Postby Mathy » 2019-01-28 15:24 (Monday)

Tekky wrote:Got any tips on how to improve performance? Virtual desktop and fullscreen seems to perform the best for me, but it's not as smooth as in Windows sadly.

Loading maps takes longer on OSX, up to several seconds, due to how the loading screen works. Wine, at least on OSX, redraws the loading screen 100 times (once for each percent it adds to the progress bar). On Windows, I heard it easily takes less than a second, perhaps about half a second.

Wine on Linux might be different, depending on the version you use.
Mathy
Developer
Developer
Angeling
Angeling

Postby Tekky » 2019-01-28 17:30 (Monday)

acampbell wrote:Performance should be comparable to Windows if things are working properly (/no1)

You can try out different Wine versions until you get one that works best for you (I use 3.14 without issues) and tinker with the game settings (Disable fog and that sort of thing.) I didn't have any performance issues personally so I didn't have anything to try and 'fix', so I'm sorry if these suggestions aren't helpful!

I'm running 4.0-tkg atm, not sure exactly what that means. 4.0-staging from the Arch repos does not appear to work. I messed around a bit with winetricks before I got it working. Perhaps a clean prefix is better, I'll have to check.

It's not that the performance is shit, it's quite decent. It just feels slightly off. I can't put my finger on exactly what the issue is. I guess I need to output some framerates and check if it's spiking a bunch. It just doesn't feel as smooth as in Windows. If only I owned a CPU with passthrough capabilities. ,_,

Mathy wrote:Loading maps takes longer on OSX, up to several seconds, due to how the loading screen works. Wine, at least on OSX, redraws the loading screen 100 times (once for each percent it adds to the progress bar). On Windows, I heard it easily takes less than a second, perhaps about half a second.

Wine on Linux might be different, depending on the version you use.

Yeah, I've noticed that it's impossible to reach the same loading speed when using wine. It's not too bad, it's about 1~2 second long when using a virtual desktop and RO set to fullscreen.
Tekky
Player
Player
Poporing
Poporing

Postby acampbell » 2019-01-29 12:10 (Tuesday)

Tekky wrote:I'm running 4.0-tkg atm, not sure exactly what that means. 4.0-staging from the Arch repos does not appear to work.

Later versions are not always better, there are sometimes regressions which aren't caught. If you're having issues I'd suggest trying an earlier version. Lutris should make that very easy to do - I can write some instructions on how to do it if you'd like.

Tekky wrote: I messed around a bit with winetricks before I got it working.

You shouldn't need any winetricks at all to get Ragnarok Online working - I certainly did not!

Mathy wrote:Loading maps takes longer

My desktop PC at home using Linux + Wine loads faster than my desktop PC at Work on Windows 7. But my work PC is nowhere as strong in terms of hardware, so that could be contributing as well :)

My characters:
acampbell
Player
Player
Santa Poring
Santa Poring

Postby lars_preben » 2019-02-03 10:52 (Sunday)

Hello all,

I am trying to run OriginsRO on Fedora 29 based on this how-to. I have ran into a problem that whenever I press play in the launcher, the launcher quits and nothing else happens. I have tried tweaking the game settings and Lutris/wine configuration, but to no avail.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem could be?

Thank you
lars_preben
Player
Player
Poring
Poring

Next

Return to Technical Support