Card Stacking "guide"

Card Stacking "guide"

Postby Nat Oliver » 2016-06-23 21:36 (Thursday)

So earlier today i saw some people in #main spreading misinformation to new players about how card stacking works in this game, claiming that the effect of % damage cards deteriorates if multiple cards of the same effect are put in the same weapon.

i've seen this rumor before and i find it kind of sad that people are getting simple game mechanics like this wrong even in an ancient game like this, so i thought i'd help people and post some lazy examples of how card stacking works and call it a "guide", lelel.

To the point: stacking multiple % damage cards of the same effect is additive, whereas mixing the appropriate race, element and size cards is multiplicative.

Examples:

A pike with 4 Hydras will do 180% damage against a high orc (1.2 + 0.2 + 0.2 + 0.2 = 1.8)

A pike with 2 Hydras and 2 Vadons will do 196% damage against a high orc (1.4 * 1.4 = 1.96)

A pike with 1 Hydra, 1 Vadon and 2 Orc Ladies will do 230.4% damage against a high orc (1.2 * 1.2 * 1.6 = 2.304)
Nat Oliver
Player
Player
Drops
Drops

GitLab User ID: @natlel
Discord Username: Natlel

Re: Card Stacking "guide"

Postby Mathy » 2016-06-23 23:26 (Thursday)

Thank you for this. There are way too many people that not only spread misinformation, but follow them religiously in their build suggestions.
Another common myth is that ASPD, as a value shown in the client, whole or not, means anything. Internally, that's just an approximation of a much more complex variable, and it's usually safe to assume that your actual attack speed increases by every 1 or 2 points into Agi, even if the client doesn't show that value when you open the status window.
Mathy
Developer
Developer
Angeling
Angeling

GitLab User ID: @Mathy
Discord Username: Mathy#4278
IRC nickname: Mathy

Postby lavenderkimchee » 2016-06-27 04:22 (Monday)

Free bump. A simple explanation to a fundamental concept in ro.
.:: Lavvy ::.
lavenderkimchee
Player
Player
Drops
Drops

Postby Damocles » 2016-09-19 11:20 (Monday)

Do wind ghost cards stack?

How do hunterfly cards stack? On a dual dagger sin with more than 4 of them?

Does the fireblend autocasting chance increase on a dual dagger sin with 2 of them?

Questions, questions /o\
Damocles
Player
Player
Drops
Drops

Postby AbyssPetra » 2016-12-27 05:28 (Tuesday)

Autocast cards don't stack but they do allow you to have a multiple chances.

For example, Wind Ghost Card.
1 Card gives you 2% chance to Autocast JT when attacking.
4 Card gives you 4 chances to hit the 2% per attack.

Bacically when you attack with a chance card, you roll a die. 4 cards means you roll 4 dice per attack.
Landing a 6 on a die means you get to trigger the effect. 4 dice = 4 times as likely. However, a die HAS to land on 6 to trigger the effect, you can't add it all up to make a 6.

Hope you understand.
What’s that in the mirror, or the corner of your eye?
What’s that footstep following, but never passing by?
Perhaps they’re all just waiting.
Perhaps when we’re all dead,

Out they’ll come a-slithering,
From underneath the bed.

PLAYDOTA - AbyssPetra
AbyssPetra
Player
Player
Poring
Poring

Postby Styx » 2017-01-26 00:41 (Thursday)

Nat Oliver wrote:So earlier today i saw some people in #main spreading misinformation to new players about how card stacking works in this game, claiming that the effect of % damage cards deteriorates if multiple cards of the same effect are put in the same weapon.

i've seen this rumor before and i find it kind of sad that people are getting simple game mechanics like this wrong even in an ancient game like this, so i thought i'd help people and post some lazy examples of how card stacking works and call it a "guide", lelel.

To the point: stacking multiple % damage cards of the same effect is additive, whereas mixing the appropriate race, element and size cards is multiplicative.

Examples:

A pike with 4 Hydras will do 180% damage against a high orc (1.2 + 0.2 + 0.2 + 0.2 = 1.8)

A pike with 2 Hydras and 2 Vadons will do 196% damage against a high orc (1.4 * 1.4 = 1.96)

A pike with 1 Hydra, 1 Vadon and 2 Orc Ladies will do 230.4% damage against a high orc (1.2 * 1.2 * 1.6 = 2.304)

Cards are divided in four sections Size, Property, Race and Boss. As you explained different section cards have a more efficient effect.
Though, 2 AK's (Boss) will average be more effective as different sections cards due their base damage value but not 3 or 4. It doesn't mean 4 AK's together would be a bad choice or 4 Hydra's.
The idea behind all this was to give players several choices, with slightly differences. developing just one weapon or specialized. In brute force thinking it only really matters if it does enable a one shot. In general it means you still can develop slightly better as you get more resources but it still is just slightly, the highest damage possible still would be random luck depending on what buffs you can get, for instance from gospel.
Even this game is very old there are still effective combinations possible but they are not very well known due the copycat nature of humans. Most of this knowledge left the game long time ago already.
Styx
Player
Player
Poporing
Poporing

Return to Gameplay Guides