Would anyone want a stat/skill resetter implemented?

This is the place where you can chat about anything related to OriginsRO and Ragnarok Online. This is NOT for technical support or requests to GMs.
Forum rules
This section is NOT meant for technical support or GM assistance requests and may be not monitored by GMs everyday. The appropriate places for that kind of requests are the Technical Support forum and the Questions and Support tracker.

Are you okay with having a stat/skill resetter implemented in OriginsRO?

Yes, and it should be free.
13%
Yes, but it should cost a LOT of zeny.
32%
No
55%

Total votes : 69

Re: Would anyone want a stat/skill resetter implemented?

Postby Berry » 2018-03-07 17:24 (Wednesday)

We're getting into convoluted custom features now, so doubt it'd happen even if you can find a nice middle ground.

Problem here is you could still reset a brewer or forger, or a MVP Snapsura, or a MVP FS Professor. And so on.
Thoughts? Questions? Concerns? Wanna get the number to that super hot blacksmith you saw the other day? PM me on:
Cranberry
Dewberry
Blackberry
...Or various other Berries
Berry
Player
Player
Stapo
Stapo

Postby Mathy » 2018-03-07 17:32 (Wednesday)

Haven't read the thread but I already have an answer.

We will likely have the ability to re-trans a character should you wish to change its build.

There have been discussions (in Gitlab) about minor point reallocations that don't allow a build to be reoriented, but do allow for fixes and adaptations to new items. I came up with that system so of course I approve it, but we don't have the staff 100% on it yet.
Mathy
Developer
Developer
Angeling
Angeling

GitLab User ID: @Mathy
Discord Username: Mathy#4278
IRC nickname: Mathy

Postby Distilled » 2018-03-07 18:17 (Wednesday)

Berry wrote:Problem here is you could still reset a brewer or forger, or a MVP Snapsura, or a MVP FS Professor. And so on.

0_0 ... oh yeah.. damn. Never has my mind been changed so fast on something lol.
I didn't even think about this, and I actually am against a resetter now. Good thing I selected the option to change poll answers on here. Sorry if I appear wishy-washy, mates, but I totally overlooked this.
Someone could level so fast as a battle blacksmith/alchemist, then reset and go forger/brewer.
Forgive my ignorance.  (/sry)

*EDIT* :
Thought I'd copy-paste this post that Mathy made 11 months ago in the gitlab:
"Sidenote: if you ever misclick a status point, log off the character immediately and report to a GM. If the character wasn't used after the mistake, we will provide a fix."
That's good to hear. It may be worth putting in the FAQ or something in the future for new players.
Distilled
Player
Player
Santa Poring
Santa Poring

Postby Kirchen » 2018-03-07 22:54 (Wednesday)

Why? Why does your opinion matter more than mine because you've invested less time and effort into the server? If anything it should be the opposite. RO, and most MMOs, have always been about rewarding time invested. Why should newcomers have an easier road ahead of them than older players had? We are already growing at a quick pace. It wasn't many months ago the server was more or less a ghost town of venders, and now we're hitting 400+ characters regularly. We don't need to make things easier to have people join, if anything things are too easy as they are considering the limited content we've got on the server. People hit max cap and get bored way too fast, and it hurts player retention. Getting new players isn't an issue, keeping older ones is.

i agree, making the server measier isnt the way to go. and its also not healthy for the server
Kirchen
Player
Player
Marin
Marin

Discord Username: Kirchen#3818

Postby Kergal » 2018-03-08 18:11 (Thursday)

Berry pretty much already covered all the important points, so there's not much else I can add to this.

I'll say look at it this way: a big thing about Ragnarok is the build choice. Planning, building, and living with that choice you made. The journey is as important as the destination! Those choices you make, either knowledgeably or in ignorance, put you on a path that is yours to tread, and sometimes you have to make the journey itself perilous just to have a big payoff at the destination (for instance, most WoE builds). This is something that attracted a lot of people to the game when it first came out, and to this particular server nowadays, since most other servers seem to offer a reset NPC. We like having to live with our choices, and not have them be trivialised by an NPC, especially five years into the server's life.

Making mistakes is not a bad thing, it helps you learn and improve. And rebirth itself is in a way a reset that allows you to adjust whichever mistakes you might have made on your original choice (although admittedly rebirth introduces its own myriad of unique builds so that argument is not without its flaws). And if you're really quite phobic to mistakes, there are plenty of resources online to assist you. From guides, to calculators, to even test servers!

Now, that being said, of course the way you want to play is yours to decide, and if you want a resetter, that's your choice. But be aware of the consequences that one would bring to this server and how it would affect everyone in it. Berry covered that part pretty well.

And yeah it's a hard no from me.
Kergal
Player
Player
Poporing
Poporing

GitLab User ID: @kergal
Discord Username: Kergal#0001

Postby brings » 2018-03-08 20:51 (Thursday)

No. But i think adminds should think a solution when they add new gears in server..
brings
Player
Player
Drops
Drops

Postby Styx » 2018-03-13 22:53 (Tuesday)

If it is for correcting or misplaced stats which could occur with update or improvements I could imagine a reset for a just few lvls but otherwise no.
Styx
Player
Player
Poporing
Poporing

Postby Perq » 2018-04-20 09:23 (Friday)

There is a balance between characters that are hard to level but good in certain situations and easy to level, but mostly only good at leveling.

Stat/skill reset stomps that balance. It is also impossible to set a price that would fulfill all the design goals. If you set it high, newbies who made a lot of mistakes won't be able to use it. If you make it cheap, everyone will abuse it to a point that character's build doesn't matter.

No-go for me, tbh.

If we're talking about accidentally pressing wrong button in stat screen (and yes, these are tine as hell), at most we could think about reverting last, say, 5 points you allocated for both stats and skills (while for skills that is more tricky since people could actually use this to alter their builds... sigh). This would have to cost A LOT, too.
Perq
Player
Player
Drops
Drops

Discord Username: Perq

Postby Mathy » 2018-04-20 12:50 (Friday)

Perq wrote:If we're talking about accidentally pressing wrong button in stat screen (and yes, these are tine as hell), at most we could think about reverting last, say, 5 points you allocated for both stats and skills (while for skills that is more tricky since people could actually use this to alter their builds... sigh). This would have to cost A LOT, too.

No need to make something that abusable. We can check how many seconds elapsed since the points were spent. If you misclick a point in a stat, log out immediately and contact a GM. If you never play the character with the effed up build, we will likely be able to revert those points for you. On the other hand, if it is clear that the character was running around, possibly being used for good with the incorrect build, we will no longer provide such respec for it.
Mathy
Developer
Developer
Angeling
Angeling

GitLab User ID: @Mathy
Discord Username: Mathy#4278
IRC nickname: Mathy

Postby Perq » 2018-04-25 05:40 (Wednesday)

While this method cannot be abused, it has a slight problem - it gives more things to worry about to GMs. :P I mean, there are already so many things we're bothering you with, not quite sure if we need more. D:

Also, I just realized that such system is pointless for skill system because it already has one. :D So tbh a system similar to one present on skills points could work for stats, no need to revert anything (therefore avoiding abuse).
Perq
Player
Player
Drops
Drops

Discord Username: Perq

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat