Thinking about MOTD and Brave Warrior

This is the place where you can chat about anything related to OriginsRO and Ragnarok Online. This is NOT for technical support or requests to GMs.
Forum rules
This section is NOT meant for technical support or GM assistance requests and may be not monitored by GMs everyday. The appropriate places for that kind of requests are the Technical Support forum and the Questions and Support tracker.

Thinking about MOTD and Brave Warrior

Postby Kergal » October 8th, 2017, 6:24 pm

The recent MOTD issue I responded to in the gitlab got me thinking about MOTD itself as well as the way it currently works with the Brave Warrior (aka Floating Rates NPC). First of all, let's talk about what the purpose of each of those features is, and their current flaws in my opinion.

In the case of MOTD, while I'm not sure what the developers' true intention for it is, as I understand it, the idea is for it to give an incentive to people to try out new places and new monsters to level with, to break the monotony of always going to the same places because those the ones that give the best exp. For example, while Male Thief Bug may be inferior to Wolf in an everyday scenario, when it was MOTD I found it giving me much better exp due to the concentration of them, the fact that they're aggressive, and no other people in the map (although sure, the loot still sucks). It's a simple tool that, when configured correctly, can help players break the mould for a while.

The problem with MOTD is that the current pool of monsters is a bit iffy. Not because of the "bad" monsters, but because of the good ones, and in more ways than you'd think, which I'll elaborate later. For now, the simple reason is, people want good MOTDs to be chosen (and by good, I mean a monster that is *already* good in terms of experience, like Wolf, High Orc, Seal), which goes completely against the idea of the MOTD in the first place (once again, at least the idea as I personally understand it). Also an issue is that, as far as I know, it doesn't keep track of the recently chosen monsters, thus it's not uncommon to see the same monster chosen within a short timeframe, like Goblin these past days, Rafflesia a few weeks back, and so on.

As for the Brave Warrior, it's extremely simple. It's intended to be a global zeny sink, with the incentive being that the entire server benefits from increased experience for 48 hours.

The issue with it is that, on one hand, there are no rewards for the specific people that donate to it, so a lot of people that do have amassed riches barely give any money to it since they receive no direct benefit from it. On the other hand, it has a fairly long cooldown, 14 days, so essentially what could be one of the best sinks in the game is very limited, and this plays horribly with the current MOTD mechanics, as I'll explain now.

You could make the argument that there's some synergy between MOTD and Floating Rates, but the way it currently works, I feel like it ends up as more of a detriment. One could say that a good MOTD encourages people to donate to the Brave Warrior to activate Floating Rates. While that's true, as it stands, the only time Brave Warrior gets donated to, is when a good MOTD gets chosen. This, in my opinion, poses two problems. First, the zeny sink gets awfully underused, due to the very high cooldown, as it's considered a complete waste to activate it when there isn't a top tier MOTD active (which goes in hand with the "why would I spend money on this when I don't get a direct benefit?" mentality). Second, it "spoils" players, so to speak, which wait for the aforementioned to occur in order to go into leveling binges, instead of a more regular playing schedule, and hell, you got solid proof with someone asking to remove "bad" monsters from the MOTD pool.

Now the question is, assuming you agree with the points I raised, how could both systems be improved?

In the case of MOTD, I think a good idea would be to remove the top tier monsters from the pool. I've already explained the issues that they cause, and while I understand it'll receive a lot of resistance due to players wanting easy experience, I truly think that in the long run it's gonna be more beneficial. Now what would top tier monsters be? In my opinion, the ones that are already overused in leveling and are the main attraction in the maps where they're present. Wolf, Metaling, Geographer, Mi Gao, High Orc, Seal, from the top of my head.

Also for the repetition part, maybe add a flag of some sort to the monsters chosen within the past 5~10 days, so as to increase variety in the short term and avoid complaints when the same monster gets picked within the same week. As a little aside, I do agree that there are truly some poor monsters that can currently be picked that should be removed, but I think that's only stuff with very low numbers and/or a long respawn timer.

Regarding the Brave Warrior, first I'd suggest giving the top donors a reward of some sort. Doesn't have to be a huge thing, and doesn't even have to be items! Something as simple as recognition is better than nothing at all, and it'd encourage more people to give money to it. Second, I'd suggest reducing the cooldown. I understand the idea that the cooldown is put in place so that people don't activate it all the time and the server essentially becomes a x5~x10 server permanently, but I think with the extremely low usage of it, that won't be a problem. And regarding that last bit, I'd also suggest making the rates float from x6 minimum instead of x5.1.

Yes, removing good monsters at first will remove the biggest driving force towards usage of the Brave Warrior. But in the long run, I think it'll lead to increased overall use of it. Instead of waiting for months for something like High Orc to get picked, it's likely that over time people will cooperate to activate Floating Rates during the weekends, especially with more incentives, once or twice a month. To drive my point further, when's the last time it even got activated? Like two months ago? And as of the day I'm writing this, it currently sits at a measly 530k donated.

So, thoughts and opinions on this matter? Let me state that there's probably a few details I'm missing, and probably some side-effects I'm not considering. I don't mean this to be an end-all suggestion (otherwise I'd have made it a lot more concise and would've posted it on the gitlab instead), but rather an opening to a discussion, because in the end I feel like MOTD could be slightly improved, and more importantly, Brave Warrior should be seeing a lot more use, and as such I'd like to start throwing ideas around to potentially improve them. So by all means please include your own if you have any.
Kergal
Player
Player
Santa Poring
Santa Poring

Re: Thinking about MOTD and Brave Warrior

Postby Franky4Fingers » October 9th, 2017, 12:14 pm

That was way too long … xD
Nevertheless, I read most of it and totally agree on the following:

and by good, I mean a monster that is *already* good in terms of experience, like Wolf, High Orc, Seal), which goes completely against the idea of the MOTD in the first place

These monsters do NOT need a MOTD. In my personal opinion it also goes totally against the idea of it, which is encourage people to try different places, get different loots, and just increase their overall knowledge of the game.
I am all in for removing these mobs from the pool.

I will add that the best experience ive had with these Mob / map / region of the day was in a different server where the point was to make underused regions XP viable. While they didn’t not match the best XP spots out there, it was still very close, and the better drops would make up for the XP. That server was using a custom region of the day, carefully cherry-picking a set of 2-3 maps where an EXP boost would make the map worth going to.
Franky4Fingers - Farmer Rogue
F4F - Hybrid Sin
Franky4Fingers
Player
Player
Poporing
Poporing

Re: Thinking about MOTD and Brave Warrior

Postby Ergroilnin » October 9th, 2017, 2:39 pm

Just wanna say that I wholeheartedly agree with the OP.
Ergroilnin
Player
Player
Marin
Marin

Return to General Chat